Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Finale Cake Wilton fondant and gumpaste course

just preparing my finale cake for the Wilton Fondant and gum paste course. i have decided to do a traditional British fruit cake in an 8 inch round this time (as opposed to my usual white/yellow cake) so that the cake will last until my mum and sister come in 10 days! The fruit cake and my house smelt wonderful when it came out of the oven (3hrs 15mins of baking time) Phew!

You are supposed to allow a fruit cake to sit for several weeks and allow it to soak up the brandy on a weekly basis, so although i can't do that this time, i at least have a practice cake before christamas! Being a brit living in the USA tradional christmas fruit cakes are either very expensive or hard to find! So I decided making my own from scratch is the best way to go!

I will use apriocot glaze over the fruit cake and then cover it in the marzipan I have made which i will use as a base cover and then use rolled fondant to cover the cake. I am not sure yet how I want it to look yet, i am waiting for inspiration! The class is tomorrow! I will probably use a combination of the fondant flowers i have made in previous classes with additional decoration.

No comments:

Followers